At School on Wheels, we’re always looking for talented, dedicated people who believe in the power of education and the potential of children. School on Wheels is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
Specifications for Director, Operations
Reporting to the Executive Director, this position is responsible for managing the financial and operational activities of School on Wheels (SOW). This includes planning, budgeting, bookkeeping, payroll, human resources administration, and all general office administration.
Planning & Budgeting
• Provides input to Executive Director in development of SOW’s plans, policies and budgets.
• Develops organization and project budgets for foundations and other grant organizations.
• Monitors progress and develops monthly budget variance reports.
• Maintains accurate records of School on Wheels’ operating expenses and income.
• Prepares/oversees monthly financial reports: P&L; Balance Sheet; Operating Expense; Revenue/Donor.
• Works with accountant/auditor to generate year-end financial statement and tax return.
Payroll & Bookkeeping
• Manages bi-weekly payroll working with payroll service provider.
• Supervises review of invoices, payment authorization and timely payment.
• Coordinates QuickBooks and Giftworks donor databases.
• Manages checking, credit card and payroll bank accounts.
• Supervises appropriate documentation of staff expense reports, payment authorization and reimbursement.
Human Resources Administration
• Ensures compliance with legal and staff needs and updates Employee Handbook, policies and procedures, as necessary.
• Manages accurate reports of staff timesheets, vacation and sick leave.
• Maintains personnel files, including new hire documentation, insurance coverage, performance documents and records.
• Conducts cost benefit analysis of benefit plans; recommends new plans.
• Manages annual open enrollment period by providing information to staff and maintaining database of employee benefits.
• Manages and oversees donor database and all elements of donor receipt process.
• Directs all general administration activities to ensure efficiency and economy, including facilities and equipment maintenance, purchasing, and donor appeals and mailings.
• Develops and maintains internal controls and policies for:
• A minimum of five years’ operations experience is required.
• Experience using QuickBooks is mandatory.
• Willing to work in both Ventura and Los Angeles.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to plan and prioritize workflow, and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to perform in a small, team environment, while working independently.
• Excellent attention to detail and follow-through.
• Interest in working for a mission-driven nonprofit organization and exemplifying SOW’s values, integrity and ethics.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to Catherine Meek, Executive Director, at: cmeek [at] schoolonwheels.org.
Specifications for AmeriCorps VISTA Educational Technologist
School on Wheels is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA member to commit to one year of full-time service to work with the School on Wheels team to enhance our program, track and improve student outcomes, and tutor more homeless students. The VISTA member will assist in setting up online tutoring as a regular component of our program, where tutors can meet each week with students in a virtual environment. The VISTA will also work to enhance our core academic program by researching and incorporating blended learning tools such as adaptive diagnostic online instruction, as well as tablets and related educational technology.
In order to effectively measure the impact of these program enhancements, the VISTA will assist in collecting outcomes which determine both strengths of the revised tools and highlight areas in need of improvement.
Blended Learning Specialist
• Recruit and train tutors and students for online tutoring.
• Identify locations such as shelters, schools, afterschool programs, for online tutoring.
• Assess technology needs and troubleshoot technology deficiencies at locations.
• Research and work with volunteers and partner organizations to refurbish computers and related equipment.
• Set up and organize online tutoring at locations.
• Monitor and update cumulative number of online tutors and students, and enforce weekly logging of tutoring hours.
• Travel locally around Southern California to set up tutoring and monitor online programs (mileage reimbursed).
• Research blended learning options, including adaptive online computer assessments.
• Schedule and train students on adaptive computer programs.
• Train tutors to utilize assessments and reports from adaptive computer programs.
• Research and implement additional technology to help student learning (tablets, web-based programs).
• Assist in creating benchmarks that measure blended learning program effectiveness.
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Communication, Social Work, Public Administration or other related field.
• Proficiency with technology required.
• Work experience in the field of Education or tutoring experience preferred.
• Excellent computer skills including proficiency with internet applications.
• Ability to trouble-shoot technology a must.
• Experience in recruiting and supporting volunteers preferred.
• Ability to perform in a team environment, while working independently.
• Ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of people — excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills.
• Ability to represent School on Wheels in the highest manner and exemplify School on Wheels’ values, integrity and ethics.
• Early evening and occasional weekend work required.
• Extensive local travel required; valid driver’s license, auto insurance and use of personal vehicle. Reimbursement for project related travel is provided.
Overview of AmeriCorps VISTA Benefits
Please note this position is not a salaried position. AmeriCorps provides and administers the following benefits for VISTA members to include:
• Living Allowance (Los Angeles County: $15,996 year/$613 biweekly gross).
• Health coverage.
• Student loan deferment and/or forbearance for qualifying loans.
• Segal AmeriCorps Education Award $5,550 (For 2013) or $1,500 Cash End of Service Stipend.
• Life insurance (optional).
• Childcare assistance of up to $400 per child under the age 13 (if eligible).
• 10 days of personal leave, 10 days of sick leave, and up to two weeks of emergency leave.
• One year of non-com-petitive eligibility (NCE) status if one meets the minimum qualifications for a federal job.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to Natasha Bayus, Education and Training Coordinator, at: nbayus [at] schoolonwheels.org.