Note: You must also print activity forms and worksheets. If you do not have internet access at your tutoring location, you will not be able to do the last activity.
The purpose of this lesson is to introduce the community college to your student and to determine if it is a good option for him or her.
- Print out the community college materials from our website
- Talk to your student about the difference between a community and a four-year college
- Discuss the pros and cons of attending a community college
- Review the admission requirements
- Provide an overview of the many community colleges in Southern California
- Review the various support services provided at community colleges
- Discuss the Extended Opportunity Program & Services (EOPS)
- Visit and explore the Santa Monica College website (www.smc.edu)
1. Do you feel a community college is a good option for you? Why or why not?
2. What aspects of a community college do you find most appealing? Least appealing?
Materials and Websites