Note: You must also print activity forms and worksheets. If you do not have internet access at your tutoring location, you will not be able to do the last three activities.
The purpose of this lesson is to introduce a few public service careers to your student and to determine if public service is something he or she is interested in.
- Print out the public service work materials from our website
- Talk to your student about the role of a police officer, emergency medical technician, paramedic, and firefighter
- Discuss the pros and cons of becoming a police officer, emergency medical technician, paramedic, and firefighter
- Provide an overview of the requirements
- Visit and explore the Los Angeles Police Department website (www.joinlapd.com)
- Visit and explore the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians website (www.naemt.org)
- Visit and explore the Los Angeles Fire Department website (www.joinlafd.org)
Click here to watch Paramedic and EMT training
Click here to watch A Firefighters Life
Click here to watch Tribute: A Day in the Life of Paramedics, EMT
Public service is work done by government for its citizens, either directly (through the public sector) or by financing private provision of services. College degrees are not required for many public service jobs but there are often intensive training programs.