- This event has passed.
Online Workshop: College Planning for Four-Year Schools
May 3 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
This online workshop is open to both active tutors as well as tutors completing our application process. The workshop, however, does not substitute for the mandatory in-person Tutor Training required of new applicants. Please refer to our event calendar to register for a Tutor Training.
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
It’s never too early to start planning for college, but many of the students we work with think that a four-year school is out of reach. In this essential workshop for homeless and low-income students seeking college admissions, college consultant Susan Goodkin will show tutors how to help their students prepare for the process. Topics will include:
- IB, AP, honors, oh my — what classes students should take
- The 411 on testing: PSAT, SAT, ACT, and SAT subject tests
- How to build the kind of extracurricular list colleges want to see
- How to most effectively describe extracurricular activities to impress college admissions readers
- The dreaded college application essay — what colleges look for
- What teachers to ask for recommendations, and what they should — and shouldn’t — say
- How students should prepare for college interviews
- What low-income students need to know about the Questbridge program
- How to find colleges that are supportive of first-generation students