Equally important to the cultivating of academics, the philosophy of growth mindset encourages students to persevere in the face of obstacles. Studies show that focusing on process rather than current ability can help eliminate the achievement gap between lower and higher-income students. With this in mind, the Summer Program encourages tutors and students to check in throughout the summer and to think about learning as a continuum. Praising students for their grit, effort, and determination increases resiliency and leads to increased performance in the long run.
- Focus on the value of learning and what can be gained.
- Provide tasks that are meaningful to children, given their interests and environments.
- Use encouraging language and help students use this language to describe their effort.
- Present your student with realistic but challenging tasks and place the emphasis on mastery of the skill, rather than performance.
Activities to foster a growth mindset:
- Take the Growth Mindset Online Quiz with your student, or print out a paper version.
- Set goals using the WOOP method
- Use our 8 week lesson plan over the summer
- Week 1 Lesson Plan
- Week 1 PowerPoint
- Growth Mindset Quiz (PDF)
- Growth Mindset Online Quiz
- Growth Mindset Video (2 and a half minutes)
- Week 5 Lesson Plan 1-on-1
- Week 5 Lesson Plan for Group Tutoring
- Week 5 PowerPoint
- Website for Lesson
Paper Materials when online is not available:
- Swahili-English Booklet Study (needs to be made prior to test)
- Swahili-English Final Test (one for student and one for tutor)
- Swahili-English Sheet Study (just for tutor only; make sure not to look at this booklet until the day of the lesson)
- Week 6 Lesson Plan
- Week 6 PowerPoint
- Case Study Worksheet: 4th-8th grades
- Case Study Worksheet: High School
Week 8 coming soon…