At School on Wheels, we do everything possible to ensure the safety of our children. We ask all our volunteers to complete a Live Scan background check.
If you have never been fingerprinted before, the procedure is very simple:
- We usually have a Live Scan service available onsite during our Follow-up Tutor Trainings. If not, you can find your nearest Live Scan Location by searching online for “Live Scan” and your zip code.
- If you go on your own, please remember to bring a copy of our Live Scan Service Form and a valid photo ID to the Live Scan location.
- Please tell the Live Scan operator that you need to be cleared by both Department of Justice (DOJ) and FBI (It’s marked on the form, but a reminder helps).
- Check with the Live Scan office about payment; some only take cash or checks. The average cost of fingerprinting is $35. If they charge you more than this, please make sure that they have not charged for DOJ. This fee is waived because you are being fingerprinted for a non-profit organization.
- We usually receive your Live Scan results within a week and will let you know as soon as you have been approved and are ready to be matched with a student.
- Please note that we are not allowed by law to share fingerprint results with any other organization, nor are we allowed to use another organization’s results. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause
If you have any questions, please call us at: (213) 896-9200